Personal Tax Season: Moving Expenses

If you moved to a new home in Canada for work or school, you may be able to claim some of your moving expenses as deductions on your personal income taxes. However, not all expenses are eligible, and there are some rules and limitations you need to know.

Eligible moving expenses include:

  • Transportation and storage costs for your household items, such as furniture, appliances, and personal belongings.
  • Travel expenses for you and your family members, such as airfare, car rental, gas, meals, and lodging.
  • Temporary living expenses for up to 15 days near your old or new home, such as hotel, meals, and parking fees.
  • Cost of cancelling a lease or selling your old home, such as legal fees, real estate commissions, mortgage penalties, and advertising fees.
  • Cost of buying or renting a new home, such as legal fees, land transfer taxes, security deposits, and utility hook-ups.

There are some conditions and restrictions for claiming moving expense deductions:

  • You must have moved at least 40 kilometers closer to your new work or school location.
  • You can only deduct the amount of your moving expenses that is more than the net income you earned at your new location in the year of the move.
  • You can only deduct eligible moving expenses from the income you earned at your new location. If you have income from other sources, such as investments or pensions, you cannot use it to reduce your moving expenses.
  • You must keep all receipts and documents to support your claim. The Canada Revenue Agency may ask you to provide them if they review your tax return.

Moving to a new home can be stressful and costly, but you may be able to save some money by claiming moving expense deductions on your personal income taxes. If you need help with preparing your tax return or have any questions about moving expense deductions, please contact your accountant or visit the Canada Revenue Agency website ( for more information.